This document describes how to install Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 (sarge) on an IBM Thinkpad T43p. Since I don't have time to write everything in one session, nor am I finished twiddling around with the setup of the notebook, this is work in progress.
Note: after a while I actually switched to Debian unstable (sid), since I've been using it for a long time on desktop machines. In case some software I use is not in sarge yet, I'll point that out. The installation procedure still applies to sarge, as does the kernel related information since it's pretty much independent from the distribution used.
- 2006-05-19: finally updated with infos about kernel 2.6.16
- 2006-01-17: add radeon Xorg configuration examples, fixed a type in the fglrx page, added a couple of links and a page about switching from the fgrlx driver to the radeon driver (and back).
- 2006-01-13: added note about input devices to the fglrx page.
- 2006-01-10: added initial infos about the fglrx driver setup, including my configuration files for various multi-monitor setups.
- 2006-01-04: minor edits to the kernel and harddisk pages to reflect the new 2.6.15 kernel release.
- 2005-12-22: give proper credits to Josef Hajas for the fingerprint patch to xscreensaver, added my own, adapted patch and an updated xscreensaver package for Debian sid.
- 2005-12-15: removed confusing notion of a patch being needed to get the Multi-Burner to work with kernel 2.6.14 from the kernel configuration page.
- 2005-12-12: moved warning about combining suspend2 with the sata patches to harddisk page and added info about using Suspend to RAM with recent fglrx drivers.
- 2005-11-12: added info and a patched .deb-package for xscreensaver for Debian sid to the fingerprint reader page.
- 2005-11-08: fixed link to fingerprint.patch.
- 2005-11-07: added warning about the combination of using suspend2 with the Suspend to RAM patches.
- 2005-11-04: added a page about getting the harddisk to work properly and suspending to RAM, also updated the rest of the pages with infos about kernel 2.6.14 and added lists for which patches are used in which kernel version.
- 2005-11-02: updated the hardware page (fingerprint reader, IBM APS) and added a page describing how to get the fingerprint reader to work.
- 2005-09-19: added a todo list, feedback is welcome. Added the install line to the modprobe.d configuration for the nsc-ircc module in the infrared section that somehow got lost.
- 2005-09-18: added a couple of comments to the hardware page.
- 2005-09-17: created pages describing how to use the special keys and the infrared hardware on the Thinkpad.
- 2005-08-19: infos about needed hardware drivers added, created page describing the set up of the multi-burner device and linked to the Linux-Thinkpad mailinglist
- 2005-08-05: more info about the installation, about configuring a custom kernel, and added a status to the various hardware components
- 2005-07-19: hardware description, installation and links